Late last year we introduced you to Axon Sports, creators of a breakthrough testing system that helps qualified medical providers make return-to-play decisions after head injuries. In recognition of National Youth Sports Safety Month, you might consider upgrading your league’s safety efforts, including the addition of Baseline testing.
What is a Concussion?
More and more common in youth sports, a concussion is a traumatic brain injury induced by traumatic force – either a direct or indirect blow. The injury affects an athlete’s brain function or cognition. Every athlete reacts differently. Every recovery is unique to the individual and the injury.
What is a Baseline Test?
A “Baseline test” is a term for any test completed before a treatment or activity. A cognitive Baseline test is one tool in an effective concussion management program because it measures what we can’t see – cognitive (brain) function.
Why introduce Baseline Testing for your Athletes?
- Cognitive Baseline testing is a best practice and recommended by both the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP).
- Concussions don’t play favorites. They can occur in any sport, at any level. All athletes are at risk. Taking a Baseline test allows a qualified Medical Provider to have a benchmark for comparison should an athlete sustain a concussion.
- The results of medical research indicate that while athletes typically recover from the physical symptoms of a concussion within seven to 10 days of the injury; cognitive function, such as attention, working memory, speed and accuracy in thinking—the very functions that the CCAT measures—may not return as quickly.
Why Axon Sports?
- Axon Sports offers an online tool that is more sensitive to cognitive impairment after a concussion than an Athlete’s reported symptoms. The tool tracks brain speed and accuracy in comparison to an athlete’s own Baseline. If suspected of a concussion, a qualified Medical Provider will use one or more repeated tests to help make a return-to-play decision.
- Baseline testing is gaining in popularity as a key component of a best-practice concussion management program. Axon Sports has makes taking and storing them easy and convenient. Even if your sport team or school doesn’t offer Baseline testing as part of a concussion program, Parents can purchase Baseline test credits and have their children complete the test at home.